The Berggren Group has enjoyed steady growth and solid success throughout its over 75-year history.
Martin Berggren, an experienced patent attorney, established Berggren (currently Berggren Oy Ab) in 1936. The following year, the company was granted its first patent by the patent office of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, the predecessor to the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland. The patent was issued for an invention made by Emil Fabritius, a Helsinki-based architect.
In the early years, Berggren also served as an agency and engineering office. In the early 1950s, the company decided to focus on the protection of industrial property rights and the company’s name was changed to its current form Berggren Oy Ab.
The 1960s and 1970s marked a period of steady growth for Berggren. Its business expanded with the growth and internationalisation of Finnish industry. During that time, industrial property rights and the related legislation changed in Finland and abroad. Berggren’s expertise contributed to the development of Finnish laws in the field.
In the late 1980s, Berggren developed into a group of four companies. In 1987, patent agency Turun Patenttitoimisto joined the group. During the following year, Tampereen Patenttitoimisto, a patent agency that was established in 1947 making it almost the same age as the parent company, merged into the group in 1988. Oulun Patenttitoimisto Berggren Oy Ab patent agency was founded in 1988.
Berggren’s development in the 1980s reflects the general trend in industrial property rights as well as the increasing international cooperation and training in the field.
Berggren has expanded its business whenever changes in legislation or trends in intellectual property practices have called for new approaches. Berggren has always responded to challenges rapidly, developing into a European full-service IP house.