For more than 85 years Berggren has helped businesses achieve success by assisting them with their intellectual property rights globally through a selected international network of highly skilled professionals. To facilitate this process, Berggren has established several country-specific desks, which now includes a US Desk that is led by Robert Alderson, a United States and European patent attorney who serves as a bridge between the two jurisdictions.
The US Desk assists US entities with their European intellectual property matters, data protection, including GDPR issues, and commercial agreements, by matching the legal need with a Berggren professional having expertise in the relevant legal area.
Berggren´s US Desk also assists Finnish and other European entities that have legal needs in the United States ranging from establishing a business to coordinating defenses to allegations of infringement of a US IP right.
Robert and his colleagues regularly attend major IP and business conferences in the United States and elsewhere including, LES, AIPLA, AUTM and INTA, among others. In addition, they are frequent speakers and authors of publications addressing many aspects of intellectual property law including comparative law. A representative list of Robert´s recent articles and presentations is provided below.
- Robert Alderson and Mariella Massaro, Nordic countries dominate the European Innovation Scoreboard again, 12 July 2021, in Berggren Blog
- Robert Alderson, Updates on Recent United States IP Case Law, Helsinki IP Summit, 10 November 2021
- Robert Alderson, Technology Transfer Insights and Trends from the Experts panel at the AUTM West Regional Meeting (virtual), 6 October 2021
- Robert Alderson, U.S. Supreme Court Narrows Assignor Estoppel Doctrine in Minerva Surgical, Inc. v. Hologic, Inc., LES Scandinavia, 21 September 2021
- Robert Alderson, Patent Prosecution and Licensing Updates in the United States and Europe, presentation at Fast Forward, 9 June 2021
- Robert Alderson and Mariella Massaro, co-hosts of Berggren Live Radio (click the link to obtain free recordings), from April 2020 to April 2021
- Robert Alderson, Roundtable Discussion: Changes in China and Your IP and Tech Transfer Strategy, AUTM Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas February 2019
- Robert Alderson, Business of Intellectual Property and Supply Chains, Licensing Executive Society Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, October 2018
- Robert Alderson, The European Unitary Patent and The Boy Who Cried “Wolf!”, presentation at the Southern Regional Technology Transfer Directors’ Meeting, Atlanta (Georgia), July 2018
- Robert Alderson, The European Unitary Patent and The Boy Who Cried “Wolf!”, presentation at “The Newest News Now, Plenary Session”, AUTM Central Regional Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 2018
- Robert Alderson, The European Unitary Patent After Brexit: Over 400 Years After the Death of Shakespeare, "To Be Or Not To Be?" is Still Very Much the Question, presentation at the Licensing Executive Society International (LESI) Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, April 2018
- Robert Alderson, Practical Patent Foreign Filing Tips, San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, California, April 2018
- Robert Alderson, The Continuing Uncertainty of Patent-Eligible Subject Matter in the United States, presentation at the AIPPI seminar “Alcune Eccezioni alla Brevettabilità in Europa e negli U.S.A.” (Some exceptions to patentability in Europe and in the U.S.), Milan (Italy), 13 April 2018
- Robert Alderson, Lecturer at the Corso di Perfezionamento in Gestione della Proprietà Industriale (Advanced Course in IP Management), Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche (Pharmaceutical Science Department), University of Milano (Italy), Academic Year 2017 – 2018